Woodward’s Foundation makes $27,925 Starlite Gift

Cranbrook, BC… EKFH’s 8th annual Starlite Campaign is drawing nearer to a close however its latest gift couldn’t be more appropriately aligned to the campaign’s focus of supporting regional community health care programs.

The Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation located in Vancouver has long been a strong supporter of health care in the East Kootenay through an alliance it shares with the East Kootenay Foundation for Health.

The Starlite Campaign has received an incredible gift of $27,924 from the foundation to purchase six arterial brachial index machines for the Cranbrook, Kimberley and Golden Health Units and Home Support Programs located in Creston, Fernie and Sparwood.

ABI machines measure the ratio of the blood pressure in the lower legs to the blood pressure in the arms. Compared to the arm, lower blood pressure in the leg is an indication of blocked arteries (peripheral artery disease). The ABI is calculated by dividing the systolic blood pressure at the ankle by the systolic blood pressures in the arm. People with peripheral artery disease are at an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, poor circulation and leg pain.

“What a beautiful philanthropic story of the power of legacy giving by the Woodward family. Access to this testing with the purchase of these ABI units will provide increased ability for people to be tested across the many communities in the region,” states Donna Grainger, EKFH Executive Director.

The history of the Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation is closely associated with Charles Woodward, Woodward Stores founder. One of his sons, P.A. Woodward, maintained an interest and involvement in the family business throughout his life. He served as Vice President of the Company prior to his retirement.

During the latter part of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward donated to many charitable organizations. There is no complete record of these contributions, but generally the gifts supported education, health and various religious bodies.

In 1951, P.A. established the Woodward Foundation to formalize these activities. On November 8th 1951, he chaired the Foundation’s first board of directors meeting at the offices of Woodward’s Department Stores at 101 West Hastings Street in Vancouver, British Columbia. In 1953, the Foundation’s name was changed to the Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation.

The Mr. & Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation does not solicit or receive funds from any sources. The assets of the Foundation represent lifetime gifts to the Foundation from the late Mr. and Mrs. Woodward, together with the residue from their estates following the death of Mr. Woodward in 1968 and Mrs. Woodward in 1970. Since then the portfolio continues to grow under the management of the Foundation’s Executive Committee.

EKFH and the Woodward’s Foundation a “star” relationship in support of health care in the East Kootenay.

To learn more about the work of either of these foundations visit www.ekfh.ca and www.woodwardfoundation.ca.

 Jackie Lee-Son, Executive Director of the Woodward’s Foundation is joined by Donna Grainger, EKFH and Jan Race, Assistant Manager Diagnostic Imaging on a recent tour of the EKRH

Jackie Lee-Son, Executive Director of the Woodward’s Foundation is joined by Donna Grainger, EKFH and Jan Race, Assistant Manager Diagnostic Imaging on a recent tour of the EKRH